The National Institute for Health Research University College London Hospitals Biomedical Research Centre in partnership with UCLPartners is running a programme of regular award-winning workshops for clinical academic researchers on patient and public involvement (PPI) in research.
The workshops, which are supported by the Wellcome Trust and open to researchers working in UCLPartners partnership organisations, are practical and the aim is to build up researchers’ skills in effectively involving lay people in the research process, from setting research priorities to designing protocols.
- ‘Introduction to PPI’ Get started with the theory of PPI and lots of practical ideas. Read more
- ‘How to fill in the PPI section of a grant form’ What do funders expect when they ask you about PPI? How can you use this to make your research better? Read more
Beginners and experienced
- ‘Setting up and supporting a lay panel' For researchers chairing research committees or steering groups that may have or intend to have patient or public involvement Read more
- ‘Developing facilitation skills for PPI’ For researchers who want to run one-off discussions with groups of patients and the public. Read more
- ‘Accessing patients and the public’ How do you go about finding people to work with? Read more
- ‘PPI masterclass: Tackling intangibles in Patient & Public Involvement’ Your opportunity to meet other practitioners of PPI and discuss some of the more thorny issues in PPI. Read more
Please note these workshops are for researchers and concern the active involvement of lay people in the research process and are not about the recruitment of participants to a trial.
See below for schedule. To book a place contact the PPI Helpdesk email@example.com stating which workshop, the date, your name, job title and organisation. A maximum of two courses can be booked per person. There is no charge for attending a course, however we reserve the right to charge a £50 non-attendance fee if you fail to inform us 24 hours before the workshop that you won’t be attending.
There are currently no planned PPI workshops however please check back again soon.