UCLH consultant supported by the BRC Professor Sir Alimuddin (Ali) Zumla guest edits a special edition of the International Journal of Infectious Diseases (IJID) dedicated to Tuberculosis (TB) to mark World TB Day on 24 March.
TB remains one of the top causes of death globally from an infectious disease, causing 1.4 million deaths every year. World TB Day is commemorated every year on 24 March – the day in 1882 when Professor Robert Koch first announced his discovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the cause of TB.
Sir Ali guest edits the special TB Theme issue alongside scientists from Australia, Europe, Asia and Africa. The IJID series of 18 articles is written by a global authorship of over 150 authors from all continents.
Further Reading: IJID Special Issue articles authored by UCL staff:
· https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33746094/ (World Tuberculosis Day 2021 Theme - 'THE CLOCK IS TICKING' - and the world is running out of time to deliver the United Nations General Assembly commitments to End TB due to the COVID-19 pandemic)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00164-8/fulltext (Recovering from the Impact of the Covid-19 Pandemic and Accelerating to Achieving the United Nations General Assembly Tuberculosis Targets)
· https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33746094/ (Global Tuberculosis Report 2020 – Reflections on the Global TB burden, treatment and prevention efforts)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00153-3/fulltext (Accelerating development of new shorter TB treatment regimens in anticipation of a resurgence of multi-drug resistant TB due to the COVID-19 pandemic)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00256-3/fulltext (Minimizing the Impact of the Triple Burden of COVID-19, Tuberculosis and HIV on Health Services in sub-Saharan Africa)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00189-2/fulltext (Tackling TB in migrants arriving at Europe’s southern border)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00177-6/fulltext (Zoonotic Tuberculosis – The Changing Landscape)
· https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(21)00084-9/fulltext (Clinical and Imaging Features of Adults with Recurrent Pulmonary Tuberculosis - A Prospective Case-Controlled Study